Explore the blog
Thursday, February 12, 2009

First Doll, Bianca – Pls Be Nice

I can’t believe she is finally done. I work on her for 3 days now. Well, I ruined one of the eyelashes, so I need to buy a new pair and try again, but that's it.

 


Oh, right, back story, welcome to my first post. I just recently took up Reborning art. It's pretty fascinating. It's called Reborning, because basically it's taking a manufactured doll or doll kit and transform it to resemble a human infant with as much realism as possible. Reborn dolls are also known as Lifelike Doll.

So in the world of Reborning, I have to name the dolls, so she’s Bianca, she is a premie sized, she was ‘born’ at exactly 8.30pm today. So this date will be her official ‘birthday’. She is my first ever reborn doll, so I have a long way to go. I'm really hoping this is something I can be good at. The most difficult is rooting the hair I must say, so for the hair we use Mohair that has been treated to resemble human baby's hair. The hair is 'rooted' to the doll head, basically 2 strands at the time with felting needle. I broke 8 needles on Bianca. Attaching the eyelashes was pretty hard for me too. I think I spent 20 minutes to attach the left one just to ruin it in the end. Good Lord. πŸ˜’
Notes: painting the doll's head and limbs took approximately 8 hours total. I spent around 8 hours too on the hair, which I think too fast, I didn't do it properly, I got impatient and started jamming the needle like a maniac. Which is of course not the right way.



I was discouraged a couple of times working on this new type of craft, I think it’s just my nature, I’m a perfectionist, if I can’t do it well I wouldn’t do it at all. Right now, I think I can do this, I don’t think I will be an expert in this, but I think I can do this well especially if I practice a lot. I also found, that assembling the doll at the end was very exciting and to see her assembled and not in ‘pieces’ anymore, was very rewarding. Taking the photos was fun too, and unlike real babies, she sat still for me. :) 

 

Would you like to comment?